Compt. Nnadi promised increase Revenue at Tin Can Island Command

0
99

By Innocent Orok

Comptroller Dera Nnadi mni has promised that he will increase the Tin Can Island Customs Command revenue collection currently at 52% to 59% in the next three months. He also called on all stakeholders to contribute their quotas to this feat for the development of the country.

The “STAR BOY COMPTROLLER,” made this remarks on Thursday while taking over as the new Customs Area Controller at Nigeria’s second largest port command, the Tin Can Island Port in Lagos State.

Comptroller Dera Nnadi was recently redeployed from the Seme Krake border Command to the Tin Island Port in a first major shake- up carried out by Acting Comptroller General Bashir Adewale Adeniyi MFR who is barely there months in office.

Taking over from Comptroller Kunle Oloyede, Nnadi said “I want to thank you for welcoming me back to Tin Can Island Port Command as I assume duty as the 20th Area Controller since the inception of the Command in 1977.

” It is always a pleasure to be in your midst to continue the reforms of the maritime industry from both my personal perspective and that of the Nigeria Customs Service.

“The dynamism of the industry requires that we join forces as stakeholders to provide solutions to our individual and collective needs. The next phase of this assignment starts this morning as we all commit to lead from the front.

“For us as a Command, it is a daunting, but somantable task. As you are all aware, Nigeria Customs Service has three key performance indicators, which are revenue collection, anti- smuggling, and service delivery, often referred to as facilitation of trade. These three serve as yardstick for measuring her performance.

“These indicators will always remain relevant in our economic discourse until we attain full development as a nation. It is more so for Tin Can Command, especially now. ”

Nnadi said so far the Command has a target of over N801bn and is currently at 52%, and assured that he will collect the remaining 48%.

“The Command revenue target of over 801 Billion Naira currently stands at 52 per cent, with barely three months to the end of the year 2023 meaning we must collect 48 per cent of the remaining revenue.

“Coming at a time, the floating exchange rate is affecting importers and exporters, this is a big, but achievable task.
Similarly, our roles in securing the nation are vast, ranging from interventions against economic sabortours who distort and take advantage of the nations trade policy. These also include those that import illicit goods that contribute to the insecurity in the country.

“I want to commend the outgoing Controller and officers of the Command for the recent seizure of two containers of tramadol. We will sustain the fight against importation of illicit and unapproved drugs

“Distinguished audience, just two days ago the Customs Administrations of Nigeria and Benin Republic signed an agreement to develop frameworks for clearing of Nigeria bound goods in Benin Republic Ports and vice- varsa. This is a call for us to improve our business process and increase our efficiency in service delivery in order to be competitive with other ports in the sub-region.

“To this end, I will particularly request the cooperation of shipping companies, terminal operators and Other Government Agencies
in our efforts towards ensuring the actualisation of the rebranding of the Command.

In line with this, I will essentially request that we respect our various mandates. Those concerned with regulatory functions should stay away from interference in revenue related transactions except it is in their mandate to do so. Hopefully, this will improve service delivery in the Tin Can Island Port.

” The outgoing CAC made reference to “operating an open door policy”. I will open my doors for seamless trade, but I will also close the door against unwholesome activities that will compromise the Service mandates.

” Let me at this juncture state that in my resolve to achieve the goals of the Command, we will not dwell on the usual blame of others for the various challenges bedeviling the maritime industry. No one person is responsible for the rot, but everyone should be ready to offer a solution,” Comptroller Dera Nnadi said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here